Tuesday, April 15, 2008

ESV Study Bible


Following Nathan Stitt's lead - the ESV website has announced its long awaited "study Bible" will be out in October - Nathan listed one set of features. Here is another:
The ESV Bible text is set in highly readable 9-point type, in a single-column, book-text format.
Section summaries are highlighted for easy location throughout the notes. Summaries provide an overview of each main section and correspond to the outline shown in the introduction for each book.
Over 200 full-color maps printed throughout make events and places in the Bible come to life.
Over 25,000 notes focus especially on understanding the Bible text and providing answers to frequently raised issues. Words from the Bible text are printed in bold for easy reference.
Over 80,000 cross-references provide easy access to key words, passages, and themes throughout the Bible.
Numerous diagrams bring fresh understanding to key places and events in the Bible, based on the best, most recent historical and archaeological research.
Over 200 charts provide concise, “at a glance” summaries of important themes and teaching.

I was happy to see my preaching professor, Doug Oss, is listed as contributing notes to 2 Peter and Jude!

I will say it definitely looks to be a "study" Bible and probably not one to take to church - it also looks as though the notes and articles will be very conservative and reformed in bent, based on the contributors listed. This doesn't have to be bad per se, just something to be aware of.

I am also pretty sure Nick will get a review copy for free! (anyone want to bet on it?).

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 7:23 PM, Blogger Justin jenkins said...

Wow, I really like how that turned out --- and I love single column I'm glad it's catching on with Bibles recently.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Nathan Stitt said...

Of all the blogs that posted about this today for some reason mine was the only one picked up by them?! Have a look. Since I seem to be getting special treatment I am going to ask for a review copy.

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Bryan L said...

ESV?
Bahh!!
: )

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Brian said...

So lame Nate, so lame....you just gettin started and you like on everybody's blogroll! dang it. You should get a review copy.

It does look good Justin. I have an International Inductive Study Bible and that too is single column - I need to get back into it.

Bryan, I guess we gotta keep things in tension ESV on one side, TNIV on the other.

I some how have to take pictures of my ESV and show you all how bas the binding is and I barely use it.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Chris Tilling said...

Seven hundred .... and one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home