Thursday, April 10, 2008

do I have a terrible attitude?

Jim West noted the passing of David Noel Freedman - an eminent and erudite Biblical Scholar.   I noted in the comment: 
It is indeed sad that David Freedman has gone on to be with the Lord, yet joyful that he has received his eternal promotion! - I am glad he leaves behind an amazing legacy and lots of books and articles for the rest of us to continue on with.
Well, then the following comment says:
"Terribile auditu…"
How so? He lived a long and rich life and has a rich legacy of biblical scholarship in the Christian community. Now he is with the Lord he loved. Is this not the goal of the Christian life? Correct me if I am wrong.

7 Comments:

At 2:46 PM, Blogger Pascalian Awakenings said...

Brian,

I can't figure out what could be offensive by your statements.

Is it possible that Chis W. was trying to say that he is sad to hear about it (auditu = hearsay) or terrible news?

Just guessing and trying to make sense of it.

I found your attitude to be appropriate...sad for his family's loss but rejoicing in his promotion.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Yes Brian, you're a terrible, terrible person.

;-)

Just kidding. Alles gute!

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Brian said...

maybe I misunderstood... misread auditu for attitude. my bad.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Robert R. Cargill said...

terribile auditu = i believe means ‘terrible news’ in latin, not ‘terrible attitude’. methinks the comment was towards the news of dr. freedman’s passing and not your comment.

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Robert R. Cargill said...

i dunno. latin is not aramaic, so i might be off. ;-)

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Brian said...

I hate revealing my own ignorance....

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Nathan Stitt said...

Don't feel bad, I immediately glossed over it with the same thought you did. "Terrible attitu..."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home